top of page
logo mic.png
DSC_0571 (1).JPG


Old and Modern Exhibits


每頁 30 x 20 厘米







秦二世詔書手摹本部分釋文「承相 臣斯臣去疾御史大臣昧死言臣請具刻詔書金石刻因明白矣臣昧死請」

Qin Dynasty Stele Inscriptions Album

Ink rubbing album

Collection of Fung Ping Shan Library, The University of Hong Kong

Each page 30 x 20 cm

The inscribed stones of the Qin dynasty (221 BCE–207 BCE) were made by Emperor Qin Shi Huang (259 BCE–210 BCE). This rubbing album consists of the Inscriptions on Mount Yi (Stele of Mount Yi) and the Inscriptions on Mount Tai (Stele of Mount Tai), which were both inscribed in 219 BCE and were believed to have been calligraphed by the prime minister Li Si (284 BCE–208 BCE) in seal script to praise the merit and virtue of the Qin dynasty emperor.

The first inscribed stele was made by Qin Shi Huang and erected on Mount Yi. It has 15 lines with a maximum of 15 characters on each line. The second example was the earliest inscribed stone on Mount Tai, which consists of two parts: the upper section of 144 characters was made during Qin Shi Huang’s eastern tour that passed through the mountain in 219 BCE. The lower section is Qin Er Shi’s (230 BCE–208 BCE) imperial edict inscribed in 209 BCE, totaling 78 characters. This inscription contains four sides, three of which are Qin’s imperial edict, and one of which is Qin Er Shi’s imperial edict inscribed in 209 BCE, totaling 78 characters. The stele was inscribed from the west, the north and the east to the south, with six rows on the west side, three rows on the north side, six rows on the east side and seven rows on the south side, totaling 222 characters, with 12 characters on each line. Today, the original stone only contains ten characters of Qin Er Shi’s imperial edict, which is known as the ‘Ten Characters on Mount Tai’.

Sung Wong Toi2_0.5x.png




89.5 x 236.5 厘米



 ‘Sung Wong Toi’ Inscription Rock
Ink rubbing
Private collection
89.5 x 236.5 cm

Legend has it that the last two Song dynasty kings, Zhao Bing (1272–1279) and his older brother Zhao Shi (1269–1278), fled the Mongol invaders and took refuge in Hong Kong on a hill in Kowloon City. Later, local villagers chose a boulder on the hill where the emperors had hidden to create the monument named ‘Sung Wong Toi’. With the expansion of the Kai Tak Airport, ‘Sung Wong Toi’ Inscription Rock was relocated to the current site of Sung Wong Toi Garden, and is now one-third of its original size. 


‘Sung Wong Toi’ Inscription Rock at the Sung Wong Toi Garden, Kowloon City, Kowloon

Kowloon King2_0.5x.png

35 x 69 厘米


Tsang Tsou Choi (King of Kowloon)
Marker on paper 
Gift of King of Kowloon Culture & Art Foundation
35 x 69 cm

Originally named Tsang Tsou Choi (1921– 1997), the ‘King of Kowloon’ came from Guangdong. It is said that he discovered his family’s historical claim to the land of Kowloon, which had been appropriated by the British government, while reviewing his ancestral belongings. He later began his artistic journey after a car accident near Sam Shan Kwok Wong Temple in Ngau Chi Wan. Following this incident, he commenced writing Chinese graffiti on the streets, claiming his status as the ‘imperial descendant’ and claiming ownership of the land of Kowloon as his family’s property. This is how the moniker ‘King of Kowloon’ originated. His body of work, primarily presented in the format of a classic Chinese genealogy, meticulously records the lineage of Chinese kings within his family. 

地址:香港薄扶林般咸道90號 地圖顯示位置

© 版權屬香港大學美術博物館 2023 


Address: 90 Bonham Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong  View the location on Google Maps

Tel: (852) 2241 5500   Fax: (852) 2546 9659   Email:

© 2023 by University Museum and Art Gallery, HKU. All Rights Reserved

Privacy Policy

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • sina-weibo
  • Youtube
  • LinkedIn
bottom of page